Are you looking for an easy-to-follow guide on how to start a blog in 2021? Well, you are in the right place. You will find a detailed step-by-step procedure in this article that will guide you on how to start a blog. You don’t have to be an expert writer, web designer, or coder to get started. Basic computer and writing skills will be enough for you to begin your blogging journey.
A blog refers to a type of website where one can share information about a specific topic. If you are passionate about a particular subject or want to showcase your skills or experience, blogging is a perfect platform. As mentioned earlier, you don’t need to be a pro, but the appropriate intent and passion are essential aspects of blogging. You could even write about your hobby, for example, cooking, traveling, art, or sports.
Blogging is currently one of the best ways to make money online. Thousands of bloggers globally are earning handsomely from their blogs. They include stay-at-home mums, entrepreneurs, various professionals, artists, life coaches, and unskilled individuals. You can also start earning from blogging by setting up a well-structured blog. However, you need to be diligent and view your blog as a business to create revenue.
How to Start a Blog by following 6 Simple Steps
Starting a blog can be a hectic and cumbersome experience, but you don’t have to go through that route. You can choose an easier path to creating your blog by following the following detailed guidelines keenly. However, before you dive in, you must have to choose an appropriate niche for your blog. A niche refers to a particular topic that you can write about. It could be health or fitness, vegan dieting, solo traveling, dog sitting, motherhood, and so on.
Note: Skills, passion, and experience are important. However, branding is also crucial if you aim at making good money as a blogger.
Follow these six essential steps on how to create a professional blog:
Part 1: Buy a Domain
A domain name is a vital component of your blog as it helps in attracting an audience and building your brand. Your domain name must be:
- Outstanding to attract viewers
- Easy to spell and pronounce
- Flexible (in case you need to adjust your niche)
- Represent your brand.
You can buy a domain name at an affordable price on Namecheap, a top domain registrar, and blog hosting company. Namecheap allows you to search, register, and manage your domain name on Namecheap’s dashboard after creating your account. The site also has a friendly website where you can navigate easily.
Here’s a quick way to buy and register a domain name on Namecheap.
- Go to Namecheap’s homepage, type a domain name, and search. If the name is available, take it, and proceed to the next step. If it is unavailable, Namecheap will offer some suggestions. You can also try severally by adding different extensions (.com, .net, .org) before settling on the best domain name.
- After choosing your domain name, click on the shopping cart icon on the far-right.
- Then, click on the “View cart” option to prepare your domain name for purchase.
- An option to register your domain name(s) will appear. Then, select your purchase duration and click “auto-renew” to avoid losing your domain after the time frame expires.
- After selecting the time frame, enable the “WhoisGuard” option to protect your contact information. WhoisGuard is a free lifetime feature for all Namecheap’s domain purchases. You may choose to enable or disable the Premium DNS option.
- Then, click on the “Confirm order” button.
- Next, fill in your information on the form below to create your Namecheap account.
- To finish your domain name registration, select your preferred payment method.
After payment, your domain name will be active and ready to use in approximately five minutes.
Part 2: Hosting
Choosing a reliable hosting company is the next step after registering your domain name. In this guide, we will use Bluehost as it is one of the best hosting companies. The company has top-notch customer services, great pricing, and a 30-day money guarantee. You can choose Bluehost’s shared hosting plan, which is simple and free.
Follow the following easy-to-follow steps:
- Go to Bluehost’s homepage by clicking on https://www.bluehost.com/
- Click on the “Get started” button.
- Choose the “Basic plan” option.
- Enter your domain name in the “I have a domain name” box.
- Create your Bluehost account.
Part 3: Set up
The next step involves setting up your blog on a blogging platform. I recommend WordPress as it is easy to install and has flexible features. According to statistics, WordPress is the most popular platform in 2021. The platform has numerous themes to choose from, regularly updates its features, and has an extensive community. The self-hosted plan also allows you to control your blog fully and earn revenue.
With Bluehost, you can automatically install WordPress with a single click! Here’s how to set up your blog:
- Log in to Bluehost. You can bypass theme selection by clicking on “Skip This Step.”
- WordPress installation is now complete. After redirection to a new page, click on the “Start Building” icon.
- Choose the type of site that you want to set up. Click on “I don’t need help” to ignore the WordPress prompts and proceed to your dashboard.
- After choosing your site, enter your details on the “Site Title” and “Site Description” boxes.
- Select your blog’s theme. A theme is the blog’s layout that includes template style sheets and files to design your blog. WordPress allows you to choose a free (limited options) or a paid-for theme. Follow this procedure to install a new theme on your blog:
- Log in to your WordPress account.
- Click on “Appearance” and then “Themes” on the sidebar menu.
- Click on “Add New” to search for theme options. Choose your preferred theme from the collection.
You can also find an appealing theme from ThemeIsle, and install it on your blog by going to “Appearance”_ “Themes”_ “Add New”_ “Upload zip file”_ then “Install.”
- After customizing your theme, you can add some WordPress plugins. Plugins are tools that extend your website’s features. You can choose a few that improve SEO (Search Engine Optimization) and site speed. Examples include Yoast SEO, WP Rocket, Google Analytics, and Elementor Pro.
Part 4: Keyword Research
Keyword research is one of the top strategies for enhancing your blog’s SEO to attain a top position on Search Engine Result Pages (SERPs). Effective keywords are significant in generating your blog’s content. You can use Ubbersuggest, a free SEO tool that generates keyword ideas. Ubbersuggest has several unique features, including maximum results for keyword trends and traffic volume. To use Ubbersuggest;
- Go to Ubbersuggest’s homepage by following this link: https://neilpatel.com/ubersuggest/
- Type in a keyword, for instance, “keto diet.”
- You will get long-tail versions of your typed keyword.
- Ubbersuggest also provides data such as monthly search volume, SEO competition, and average CPC.
Part 5: Content Creation
Having finished setting up your blog, are you now ready to start blogging? Content creation constitutes a significant part of blogging as it contributes to your blog’s SEO and revenue. To attract viewers and attain a high ranking on SERPs, your content should be informative, unique, and appealing. You can also apply several strategies to manage your content, including having a content calendar and optimization.
As mentioned in Keyword Research, keywords are components of content creation that help in SEO. You can have a target keyword that you naturally place in different parts of your blog post, such as the title, blog’s permanent URL, paragraphs, and headings.
You may add images, lists, infographics, videos, and other visual aids to enhance your content and make it more attractive to your audience. The content should also match viewers’ search intentions (write what people are searching for on search engines like Google).
Your target keyword can help in finding out what people are looking for on Google. For instance, if your keyword is “How to Get Rid of Pimples,” you can search for the terms on Google and find how blog posts with similar or related keywords rank on the search engine.
The results indicate that people need to get rid of pimples as quickly and discreetly as possible. With this information, you can write a blog post on the best ways to remove pimples fast. Your content should provide a solution to the readers’ problem.
Your blog post should not only be search intent, but must be well-structured with good grammar, sentence construction, lists, bullets, and images. You can also use a conversational tone to engage your audience.
- Create content that adds value to your readers.
- Have good formatting, including readable fonts, bolded sub-headings, and some words.
- Double-check and edit your post before publishing. You can also use a grammar-checking tool such as Grammarly.
- Add the “Home Page” and “About Page” before launching your blog.
- Plan for future content.
- Analyze your blog’s performance using Google Analytics or Ahrefs.
Part 6: Promotion
You need to promote your blog effectively to build a massive audience and also earn money from blogging. You can employ several promotion strategies, including social media marketing and content outreach.
Here are some strategies you can apply to promote your blog:
- Social Media Marketing- Undoubtedly, social media has revolutionized how people socialize and share information in this digital era. Billions of people globally visit social media every minute to search or exchange ideas and media components. You can leverage social media platforms such as Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Snapchat to promote your content.
- Content Outreach – Content outreach is a marketing strategy that involves making contacts and letting them promote your content through sharing. The promotion approach helps in building your brand’s (blog) reputation and maintaining its authority. You can apply the strategy by using influencers to share your content with their numerous followers on their social media platforms. Guest blogging and link building are also examples of content outreach.
- Guest blogging- Apart from creating content on your blog, you can also write articles for other bloggers (guest blogging). By writing top-notch articles, you earn a larger audience as the bloggers will promote your content to their readers. They also get backlinks when they refer to your blog. Therefore, you add credibility and authority to your website. However, getting guest blogging opportunities may not be an easy task as you have to build relationships and do cold-pitching.
- Link Building- Links are vital tools that help in improving your blog’s rank on SERPs. You attain backlinks when other bloggers refer readers to your post. However, your content has to be high-quality and valuable to your audience.
You can also generate links through;
- Broken link building by using tools like Ahrefs. You can reach out to blogs with broken links in your niche to make them aware of their shortcoming and, thus; build relations.
- Link partnerships. Hook up with bloggers in a similar niche and form partnerships.
- Competitor research. Find websites that link to competitors and connect with them.
Blogging in 2021 is among the best ways to earn real money online. Whether you are a stay-at-home mother, a recent graduate, an avid traveler, an expert in a specific field, or none of the above, blogging can be a perfect venture. While traditional bloggers only focused on informing their audience about their daily occurrences, current blogging aims at offering value. It also relies on people’s intent on search engines.
Therefore, you can be a problem-solver through blogging by offering valuable content to inform, guide, or offer solutions. You must create a professional blog that will make you stand out and sell your content. This article has provided a detailed guide on how to do that.